There are tried-and-true ways of bolstering productivity in the workplace – they stem from better compensation packages, an increase in salary, as well as more autonomy. However, there are also some effective, yet unusual ways of also improving production output from employees. Here are 5 unorthodox ways of improving productivity.
1. Improve office aesthetics with plants. Research by the National Center for Biotechnology Information has shown that creating an environment where employees have access to nature can be particularly effective at reducing overall stress. Further research also shows that plant can even improve air quality inside closed quarters, subsequently improve the health of workers by reducing airborne allergens.
2. Engage employees with gamification. There are dedicated apps and software for gamification, which are applications that use gaming elements to promote engagement. Gamification has been connected with improved cognitive ability, even helping to build employee branding. Depending on the type of games that you use, gamification can improve cooperation, teamwork, and can be an innovative tool for onboarding new candidates.
3. Include exercise breaks. Regular exercise breaks can increase output by 25 percent, with separate research noting that short exercise breaks like a walk can not only improve productivity but also improve moods for several hours afterward. A walking break rejuvenates the body, and allows the mind to temporarily disconnect from the stresses of work.
4. Lower the temperature. A cool workplace can improve productivity by 12 percent. According to the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, the optimal range of ambient temperature should be between 25 and 30 degrees Celsius – or around 77 degrees Fahrenheit. The opposite is true of working offices that are too hot; it has the potential of making workers uncomfortable and cutting into productivity.
5. Use a business intranet. A business intranet allows for easy online collaboration between departments and teams, with the intranet hosting important documents and project information in a feature-rich interface. It also connects to third-party resources like Google to provide additional, real-time information. The business intranet is simply the best tool to work smarter, not harder.